Canadian Forces Intelligence Command
To provide credible, timely and integrated defence intelligence capabilities, products and services to the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), Department of National Defence (DND), Government of Canada and Allies in support of Canada’s national security objectives.
Canadian Forces Intelligence Command will continue to evolve and innovate to be recognized as a world-class leader in the provision of integrated defence intelligence that is vital to DND/CAF and Government of Canada decision-making.
The Commander Canadian Forces Intelligence Command is also the Chief of Defence Intelligence. As such, he is the chief intelligence advisor to senior DND/CAF leadership and exerts functional authority over the other DND/CAF organizations to ensure that all defence intelligence activities are well coordinated and compliant with existing policies and laws.
The Canadian Forces Intelligence Group and Assistant Chief of Defence Intelligence are the main organisations within Canadian Forces Intelligence Command that collect, assess and enable the defence intelligence function.
The Canadian Forces Intelligence Group is a formation within the CAF that provides integrated collection management, multi-source intelligence, and deployable capabilities to meet DND/CAF objectives. The Canadian Forces Intelligence Group is comprised of a headquarters and the following five CAF units:
- Canadian Forces Joint Imagery Centre (CFJIC) – CFJIC provides imagery and imagery intelligence in support of DND/CAF and Government of Canada objectives. CFJIC is based in Ottawa.
- Canadian Forces National Counter-Intelligence Unit (CFNCIU) – CFNCIU identifies, investigates and counters threats to the security of the DND/CAF personnel, property, material and information posed by foreign intelligence services, individuals and groups engaged in terrorism, espionage, sabotage, subversion, or organized criminal activities impacting DND/CAF security. CFNCIU is based in Ottawa and includes a number of regional detachments.
- Joint Meteorological Centre (JMC) – JMC provides operationally focused weather support to the CAF, trains and force-generates Meteorological Technicians for operations, and conducts applied development for military meteorology. JMC is based at 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown, NB.
- Mapping and Charting Establishment (MCE) – MCE provides geospatial information and geomatics support to DND/CAF and other government departments in accordance with Canada’s national objectives. MCE is based in Ottawa, and has a detachment at CFB Halifax, NS, and CFB Esquimalt, BC.
- Joint Task Force X (JTF X) – JTF X provides strategic, operational and tactical human intelligence resources in support of DND/CAF programs and operations. JTF X is based at CFB Kingston, ON.
Intelligence Assessment and Enabling
The Assistant Chief of Defence Intelligence provides all-source analysis, strategic warning and threat assessment functions to DND/CAF and other government departments; contributes to intelligence-sharing relationships with Allied and partner countries; and manages all phases of the defence intelligence cycle, including coordination of defence intelligence requirements from within DND/CAF and other partners. The Assistant Chief of Defence Intelligence leads six directorates that are located in Ottawa:
- Directorate of Intelligence Collection Oversight (DICO) – DICO provides oversight, policy and directive development, and manages partnerships for geospatial, human and counter intelligence on behalf of DND/CAF.
- Directorate of Intelligence Production Management (DIPM) – DIPM coordinates the federation of all-source intelligence production and directs defence intelligence analytical guidelines, methodology and training to ensure the highest standards in providing timely, relevant and focused defence intelligence to DND/CAF and the Government of Canada.
- Directorate of Policy and Programmes Intelligence (DPP Int) – DPP Int provides policy, legal, partnership, communications and security advice and support regarding defence intelligence to DND/CAF.
- Directorate of Meteorology and Oceanography (D Met Oc) – D Met Oc ensures full and timely meteorological and oceanographic information access for DND/CAF organizations to assist in the planning and conduct of operations.
- Directorate of Scientific and Technical Intelligence (DSTI) – DSTI provides all-source scientific and technical intelligence products and services to DND/CAF and the Government of Canada.
- Directorate of Transnational and Regional Intelligence (DTRI) – DTRI provides all-source transnational and regional intelligence products and services, strategic warning and threat assessments to DND/CAF and the Government of Canada
- Date modified: