Posting season and changing schools

How can I best prepare my child for school in a new country? Will my child meet the credit requirements for graduation this year? Are there any educational allowances to support my child with special needs? These questions can now be answered through a guidance counselling service offered through Children’s Education Management.

Children's Education Management, managed by Military Family Services under Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services, has been managing the educational needs of children of Canadian Armed Forces families since 1947. The introduction of guidance counselling services is a recent initiative to further support the education of children as they move from province to province, or out-of-country. Guidance Counsellors are on hand to help children transition from one school year to the next, or from one posting to the next. This counselling service offers families information, insight and advice on educational options available to children. Guidance Counsellors can assist with the interpretation of one curriculum versus another and explain credit requirements, deficiencies and equivalents. They can also recommend distance learning courses as a solution in meeting academic requirements.

Children's Education Management programs and services are designed to mitigate potential negative impacts on schooling due to geographical moves. If preparing for a posting out-of-province or out-of-country, assistance in understanding which credits are required and which are transferable is now available and accessible to all military families.

For more information on education allowances (tutoring, board and lodging, tuition, etc.) available for military families posted out-of-province or out-of-country, visit the Children’s Education Management webpage.

Date modified: