Occupant Handbook

This handbook is designed to provide DND housing occupants with information and contact details on the range of support services available to them and to their family. It also outlines some of the basic rights and responsibilities of living in a Department of National Defence (DND) residence.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss any aspect of our service, please contact your local CFHA Housing Services Centre (HSC).

Table of Contents

A Message from the Canadian Forces Housing Agency

The Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA) would like to welcome you to your new home.

Our goal is to provide you with a quality place to live and excellent service, no matter where you have been posted.

We want to make your stay trouble-free and ensure any maintenance requirements are addressed quickly and professionally. It is important to us that your home provides a comfortable living environment and peace of mind.

This handbook is designed to provide you with information and contact details on the range of support services available to you and your family. It also outlines some of the basic rights and responsibilities of living in a DND residence; please pay particular attention to the highlighted sections. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with this handbook.

We trust that you will enjoy living in the home that has been allocated to you and your family.

Important Contact Information

First and foremost, let us provide you with a few contact numbers, addresses, and links that you should keep handy.


Orientation Meeting

When you arrive, an orientation briefing will be provided to you at the HSC. Your HSC representative will review this handbook with you, have you look over and sign your Licence to Occupy (formerly known as the Conditions of Occupancy), and give you keys to your new home. They will let you know of any site-specific information to help you settle into the neighbourhood.

DND Housing Check List for New Occupants

Please make note of any damages or deficiencies you notice in the unit allocated to you. Fill out, sign and hand in the condition report to the HSC within five (5) working days of your move-in day. We may already have this information on file, but the condition report will help make sure you are not held responsible for anything we may have overlooked.

Locks and Keys

When you move into your new home, you will be given no less than two (2) sets of keys. When you move out, you will be asked to return all keys provided to you.

To respect your privacy, the HSC does not keep a spare set of keys to your house. If you lock yourself out, the HSC can arrange a locksmith for access, but you will be charged for this service. During regular business hours, please call the HSC at the number indicated on page six (6). After-hours, please contact the EAHRS at 1-800-903-2342.

Please contact the HSC to obtain approval to change locks or install security devices.


CFHA does not cover any loss or damage to the contents of your house. You are required to have liability insurance and personal property insurance to cover damage or loss to your personal possessions and to your house in the event of fire, flooding, theft, etc. Proof of insurance must be provided to the HSC prior to taking possession of the unit. Your insurance coverage needs to be kept up-to-date, and we may ask you to provide proof of your coverage at any time during your occupancy.

Damage Caused by Movers

Please inform the HSC of any damage to the residence and the grounds caused by your movers. Regardless, you will be responsible to cover the costs of repairs. You are therefore encouraged to submit a claim for damages to the moving company for reimbursement of damages caused by movers. Please note that there is a time limit associated with such claims.

Extended Absences from Your House

When your house is unoccupied for a period longer than 48 hours, please make sure the residence is checked on a daily basis so that emergencies can be dealt with promptly. Let the HSC know the name and telephone number of someone who will be able to provide access to the house while you are away. Without this information, you will be held responsible for all costs of gaining access to your house in an emergency situation, and all damages to the residence.

While you are away, your lawn, sidewalks, steps and driveway still need to be maintained.

Reasonable and Emergency Access

CFHA employees and contractors might need to access your home from time to time for appraisals and other types of required inspections. Except in an emergency, the HSC will inform you and provide the reason, date and approximate time for the inspection at least 24 hours in advance. Even during extended absences from your home, there needs to be a way for HSC staff to gain access to your home.

In emergencies such as, but not restricted to, fire, flood or gas leaks, CFHA employees or contractors may be required to enter your residence in the performance of their duties without obtaining your permission.

It is recommended that you ask anyone requesting entry to your home for identification (ID) and that you inform the HSC of any unscheduled visits.

CFHA Contractors

Although not all maintenance contractors have ID cards, they do carry official work orders issued by CFHA. The contractors will phone you to arrange an appointment time during normal working hours that is convenient for the both of you. The HSC should be provided with current, local phone numbers to pass along to contractors who are trying to contact you.


When utilities are provided by the Crown (water, gas, fuel and electricity), you will be informed by your HSC of how much you will be charged for utility services and are responsible for these costs. When a utility is not provided by the Crown, you will have to arrange for the service from a local provider.

Failure to obtain and maintain utilities might result in damage to your house or constitute a health hazard and may be considered justifiable cause for eviction. If CFHA has to assume the cost of supplying utilities that are your responsibility in order to prevent damage to your house, or to top-up a fuel tank where you failed to do so on vacating, recovery action will be taken.

Cable/Satellite Dishes and Telephone

CFHA will provide a functioning telephone jack in a common area of your house.

You are responsible for paying for telephone, cable and satellite service, including the installation of additional and/or relocation of jacks or cable as well as satellite installation and their upkeep. Please see the section of this handbook on “Activities Requiring Housing Services Centre Approval” for more information on satellite installation.


Good Housekeeping Practices

When you move into your new home, you expect it to be clean and well maintained. You, in turn, are responsible for keeping it in the same condition while you live there. Your home, both inside and outside, must be kept clean and tidy.

Activities Requiring Housing Services Centre Approval

You must get the approval of your HSC before going ahead with plans for your home. Please contact the HSC well in advance to obtain approval to make additions or alterations to your home or to conduct commercial activities in your home. Some examples of activities needing approval include but are not limited to:

  • Operating a Home-Based Business – A home business may be permitted if it does not bother your neighbours, offer unfair competition to local businesses, lead to any changes or excessive maintenance to your house, present a health hazard or is not in conflict with Base/Wing Oders. You will also need to carry appropriate insurance for your business, and make sure you are following all regulations and/or by-laws. Look into whether your municipality requires you to have a business licence, and – if it does – submit the licence with your request to the HSC. Note that you are not permitted to post advertising signs outdoors or in the windows of the home, or solicit door-to-door in the residential area.
  • Alterations/Additions to the Residence – Please ask the HSC for approval before making any alterations/additions to your residence. Any alterations and/or additions made to your house, and any labour, materials, tools and equipment will be your responsibility. Before you invest time and effort into your project, consult with the HSC; they will want to inspect your work at different stages of the project, and again when you are finished, to make sure it complies with the National Building Code and CFHA standards. Any projects that do not meet the code will need to be fixed, or removed, at your expense. Please note that the addition of bedrooms in the basement is not permitted because of fire safety regulations.
  • Installation of Wall-to-Wall Carpeting – Please ask the HSC for approval before installing wall-to-wall carpeting. All wall-to-wall carpeting you install shall be removed when you move out and the floors returned to their original condition at your own expense.
  • Interior Painting and Wallpaper – Please ask the HSC about painting restrictions before painting; If painting is approved by your HSC, all work will need to be inspected by the HSC to make sure it meets the standards of the trade. If painting is approved by your HSC and you decide to choose colours not approved by the HSC, you will need to return the painted surfaces to their original condition at your expense prior to your departure. Wallpaper can be applied, if approved by the HSC, but only if it is dry-strippable. When you move, it will need to be removed and the walls returned to their original condition.
  • Oversized Furniture – If you have large furniture that cannot fit through a door or stairwells, and need to remove large windows or alter the doorway or stairwells to bring the furniture into the house, please consult with the HSC. You will be required to pay for all associated costs.
  • Specialty Appliances – Permission must be sought from the HSC to install any specialty appliances you wish to have. As well, their maintenance/repair and restoration costs (e.g. air conditioners, dishwashers, gas appliances, etc.) are your responsibility. CFHA is under no obligation to design future project or repair work around your specialty appliances, and if you decide to install these appliances, you do so at your own risk. Note that not all homes will be able to accommodate specific specialty appliances.
  • Fences, Patios, Sheds and Dog Runs/Pens/Kennels – Fences, patios, sheds and dog runs/pens/kennels will need to meet CFHA conditions and standards. You are responsible for the maintenance and/or repair of any exterior structure you build. You will need to make sure all exterior structures are built soundly and are well maintained. Please request the proper form and requirements for submission from your HSC. If you are building a fence in order to install a swimming pool or a hot tub, refer to the paragraph below. When you move out, you will need to remove all structures and restore the grounds to their original condition at your expense. You can erect fences, patios, sheds and dog runs/pens/kennels on your lot with the approval of the HSC. In order to prevent these structures from being placed casually around the neighbourhood and becoming unsightly, the HSC will let you know where on your lot it can be placed.
  • Above Ground Pools, Wading Pools and Hot Tubs – Please contact your HSC for approval and/or local restrictions, as well as CFHA national guidelines concerning the installation and use of hot tubs and swimming pools. Such installations will warrant the installation of a fence before they are filled with water. You will also need to possess and be required to provide proof of appropriate liability insurance. When you move out, you will need to take out the hot tub, pool and fence, and return the grounds to their original condition at your expense. Note: hot tubs require a qualified electrician to install 240v extensions.
  • Satellite Dishes – Please ask your HSC before you install a satellite dish. The installation of this equipment is controlled in order to prevent damage to the building. If your equipment is not installed or maintained properly, it will need to be removed at your expense. Please note that the satellite dish must be removed at your expense when you move out.
  • Automobile Shelters and Sheds – Before purchasing and/or installing temporary shelters (automobile or other use) or sheds, please contact your local HSC to find out about local applicable criteria, requirements, and/or restrictions.
  • Planting of Flowerbeds, Vegetable Gardens and Shrubs – Gardens and shrubs help make your home, and your community, more beautiful. However, there are problems that could rise because of root systems, poor drainage, etc., therefore you should request permission from your HSC before planning. Some restrictions you may be asked to follow are:
    • Shrubs cannot be planted closer to the house or other permanent structures than their maximum growth height. If unsure, please consult with your local HSC. You can ask your local nursery for advice. Once planted, you will need to nurture and maintain the shrubs.
    • Flowers and vegetables may be planted on your lot. Some restrictions may apply. If you plant a garden along the house, it needs to slope away from the foundation wall.

Barrier-Free Modifications

Modifications to increase safety and accessibility may be required in support of either Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members or dependants. Such alterations must be coordinated with the HSC. Occupants are not to make required alterations to their allocated unit. A written request to the HSC Manager with supportive documentation outlining the specific requirements to support the family member in question will be required. All modifications to the house will remain in the unit upon move-out.

Window Blinds and Curtain/Drapery Tracks

The HSC does not provide you with window coverings. You are responsible for any installation, maintenance and removal of roller/Venetian blinds and curtain/drapery tracks in your house.

Water Beds

You may not be able to use a water bed because of variations in the design and structure of the houses. Please consult with your HSC.

Basement Storage

Basements are built to be the foundation of the house. The weeping tiles and sanitary sewer systems are often old and, as a result, basements may be subject to flooding, especially after heavy rainfall and spring runoff. You should put your belongings on pallets and/or shelves to prevent possible water damage. Please do not store anything nearer than 75 cm (30 inches) around the furnace and hot water heater and keep your belongings away from electrical panel and water shut-off valves to allow prompt emergency access.


You will need to keep your lawn cut, watered and well-tended. You also need to take care of any shrubs or flower beds.

Water restrictions are a fact of life in many municipalities. You are expected to follow restrictions when these are in force locally.

Snow Removal

For safety reasons please remove snow and ice from steps, sidewalks, pathways and driveways on your lot. If you are sharing a driveway, you are responsible for removing the snow from your portion of the driveway, as well as the entrance and central part of the area.

Waste Removal/Recycling/Composters

Garbage must be placed in covered metal or rigid plastic containers. To keep scavenging animals at bay, plastic bags alone should not be used for household waste. Please take note of the collection schedule and do not put garbage containers out prior to 5 p.m. the day before the scheduled collection or in accordance with local by-laws. Garbage is the responsibility of the occupant until it is placed on the garbage truck.

Where a recycling program exists, you are encouraged to recycle. You will be required to leave any recycling containers provided to you when you move out.

Where composters are available, they will need to be placed in a suitable location, preferably hidden from view. They are to be kept clean, secure, and to be emptied fully prior to move-out.

Use of Pesticides

The use of pesticides for cosmetic lawn care is prohibited. This includes using pesticides to treat lawns for grubs. If you are looking for lawn care alternatives to pesticides, additional information is available from many sources, such as Health Canada’s Healthy Lawn website.

Skating Rinks

To prevent damage to lawns and landscaping, the installation of skating rinks is not permitted. Many sites have rinks available in their community.

Asphalt and Concrete Surfaces

Asphalt and concrete surfaces can be badly damaged or stained by automobile fuel and lubricants. This can result in expensive repairs or at the very least an unsightly appearance. You will need to remove stains or spills from your driveway and garage floor as soon as they occur, or you may be charged for the repairs.

Excavation (Call before you dig)

You will need to get written approval from the HSC before you begin any excavation work on the property. Please contact your local service providers (hydro, gas, cable, telephone, water and sewer) to make sure there are no underground services where you are planning to dig. While the work is ongoing, the excavation area cannot be left unprotected as it would create a safety hazard.

Locker Storage

If locker storage space has been assigned, you need to keep it tidy and free of fire hazards. It is prohibited to to use storage areas as workshops, as a play area for children or living spaces.


If you have a garage and wish to use it for anything other than storing your vehicle, please note that garages do not have the same level of weatherproofing as your house. There is a greater risk of incurring water damage to your possessions caused by leaks or condensation. If you choose to use the garage in this way, you do so at your own risk.


For everyone’s safety, please make sure your vehicle and those of your family members are not parked in a way that would block fire-fighting and snow removal equipment. Driveways, and the rest of the property, cannot be used to store non-roadworthy vehicles, or bulky items. Also, it is prohibited to park or drive a vehicle on the grass.

Storage of Recreational Vehicles

Recreational vehicles can’t be stored on your housing property, on base/wing streets or common areas. You may park a recreational vehicle near your housing unit for a short period of time – to load and unload – but you must inform your HSC in advance.

Recreational vehicles include, but are not limited to:

  • motorhomes (class A, B, B+ and C)
  • fifth wheels
  • converted busses
  • truck campers
  • popup campers
  • tent trailers
  • travel trailers
  • boats

Check with your HSC for the complete list. Some bases and wings have storage areas for recreational vehicles. Contact your HSC for more information.

Sports/all-terrain vehicles, such as snowmobiles, jet skis, three/four wheelers and motocross bikes may be permitted during respective seasonal periods on your housing property, as long as they are:

  • operational
  • properly stored in the back yard, the shed, the garage or on a trailer in the driveway
  • don’t damage property, such as lawns and driveways
  • don’t pose a health or safety risk

Utility trailers may be permitted in the back yard if they are easily moved by hand and do not damage the lawn.

Parked trailers and vehicles can’t interfere with your responsibility to keep your yard clean and the grass mowed. You can’t drive a motor vehicle of any kind on grass areas at any time. Damage to grass/lawns is your responsibility and will be repaired at your expense.

You must always consult your HSC as they have the final say as to what is permitted at their site, based on municipal bylaws and lot sizes.

Occupant Owned Recreational Equipment

You cannot build or install any homemade recreational equipment, such as tire swings and forts, which involve the use of a tree. Other than swimming pools and hot tubs, there are no prohibitions or restrictions on the use of other recreational equipment such as children’s swings and trampolines. You are of course responsible for the safe operation and repair of the equipment placed on your property. You may be asked to remove any unsightly recreational equipment.


It is CFHA’s job to maintain your house and lot to a standard that prevents health, safety or security issues for its occupants. It is your responsibility to avoid damage to your house and grounds. Please inform your HSC immediately of any damage incurred or maintenance issues.

Fair Wear and Tear

We want you to enjoy your residence and we fully realise that in any home there will be deterioration because of ageing and normal use. This deterioration is called fair wear and tear.

Non-Fair Wear and Tear

Damage that happens because of neglect or mistreatment is called non-fair wear and tear. If the residence or grounds are damaged because of neglect or mistreatment, you will be liable for the cost of repair or replacement.

Routine Maintenance Repairs

Please notify CFHA of any damage, defects or deterioration to your house and property. Early notification will help CFHA keep the house in good condition while you live there. All routine maintenance requests are recorded and, in some cases, a CFHA staff member will need to inspect the residence to assess the repairs required. Note that there is a requirement to have a person 18 years of age or over present for the duration of any interior maintenance repair.

Emergency Maintenance Repairs

An emergency is defined as an occurrence which, if not treated immediately, could endanger a human life, could cause further damage to property or create undue hardship to you or your family, such as – but not limited to:

  • Blocked toilets or sewer drains;
  • Any leak which cannot be contained (from roof, burst pipes, windows nad basement);
  • Burst water pipes;
  • Electrical faults or shocks;
  • Serious roof or basement leaks;
  • Fire damage; and
  • Furnace breakdown during the heating season.

Heating or electrical repairs must be carried out by qualified trades’ people, and you will need to call the HSC to initiate a service request. To find out whether or not the problem is one that you can fix yourself, follow these steps before calling for help:

  • Power Failure:
    • Check the circuit breaker switches in the electrical control panel to make sure they are all in the ON position;
    • If the control panel shows breaker switches in the ON position, switch them OFF then back again to the ON position. If there is still no power, check with your neighbours to find out whether or not they too are experiencing a power failure. If they are, it is likely a power failure in the whole area. Make sure the problem has been reported to the local service provider; or
    • If the failure is confined to your home, phone the HSC or the EAHRS, if outside of regular working hours, for assistance.
  • Heating Failure:
    • Confirm that the circuit breaker switch in the electrical control panel labelled “furnace” is in the ON position. Check the thermostat for proper operation. Verify that it is set on HEAT and that the temperature (above current room temperature) setting is appropriate;
    • Check to see that the manual gas shut-off valve external to the furnace is in the ON/OPEN position;
    • If you have an oil furnace, check the fuel gauge. Contact your local service provider if your fuel level is low;
    • Check the emergency power switch (normally located in proximity of the furnace, sometimes affixed to the ceiling) is in the ON position;
    • Check the outside intake and exhaust vents for blockage. Keep vents clear of snow or ice build-up in the heating season; or
    • If there is no improvement, phone the HSC or the EAHRS, if outside of regular working hours, for assistance.
  • Electric or Gas Water Heater Failure:
    • For an electric water heater, confirm in the electrical control panel that the circuit breaker marked “hot water heater” is in the ON position; or
    • Phone the HSC or the EAHRS, if outside of regular working hours, for assistance.

Assuming the cost of all unnecessary emergency calls (e.g. dead batteries in thermostat, gas valve in OFF position, furnace emergency switch in OFF position, exhaust for high efficiency furnace obstructed by snow, etc.) will be your responsibility.

Emergency After-Hours Response Service (EAHRS)

CFHA provides after hours and week-end service for your emergency maintenance needs. Please limit your requests for emergency maintenance to any problems which will affect health and safety, and to avoid significant damage to the residence.

Not all maintenance problems are an emergency, and some will be looked into the next regular business day. The phone number for the EAHRS is 1-800-903-2342.

Temporary Evacuation

Should circumstances (such as basement flooding, roof leaks, lack of heat, etc.) require you to temporarily leave your residence, please inform the HSC first. Contact the HSC for alternate accommodation approval. If the problem occurs after business hours, please call the EAHRS for assistance.

Self-Help Program (Where available)

The idea behind the self-help program is to offer to occupants the opportunity to make minor repairs and improve the state of their house.  Where this program is available, we encourge you to carry out simple maintenance and repair work. Contact your HSC to find out about the program and if it is available at your site.

Windows, Doors and Screens

You are responsible for cleaning the interior and exterior of all the windows and doors where cleaning is possible through the design of the house. You are also responsible for the upkeep and repair of the screens.

Light Bulbs, Fluorescent Tubes and Fuses

When you first move in, the HSC will make sure that all light bulbs and fluorescent tubes for the light fixtures in your house are functioning. When one of them needs replacing, it is your responsibility. Light bulbs must be present and working when your home is vacated.

Furnace Operation

It is the responsibility of CFHA to maintain the furnace as well as replace the furnace filter(s) once a year. You are expected to regularly replace your furnace filter between annual maintenance visits. A clean furnace filter maximizes your furnace’s efficiency and longevity, and reduces your energy bill. Most furnaces require filters to be changed on a monthly basis. We remind you that you are to use replacement filters that are of the same size as the filter supplied for your furnace during our planned annual furnace maintenance visits.

Tips on how to minimize heating costs:

  • Set your thermostat at 20º C (68º F) during the day and 18º C (63º F) at night;
  • Make sure heat ducts are not blocked by furniture or drapes. Putting plastic deflectors over the ducts will help circulate heat more effectively; and
  • Make sure there are no partitions or articles, which might reduce air circulation, within 75 centimetres (30 inches) of the furnace. This is particularly important for gas furnaces which require the use of surrounding air for efficient combustion.

If your furnace has a connected humidifier, the interior components (tray, disk and/or filter) may be wiped clean using a damp cloth. Where humidifiers are installed, this is an annual requirement normally undertaken by CFHA contractors as part of the annual furnace maintenance visit.

Drainage Systems

Please do not put foreign or hazardous materials into the drainage system. If you have a blockage and drains will not clear using a plunger, please make a service call to your HSC as soon as you can to report the problem. If a foreign object is the reason for the blockage, the cost of repairs will be your responsibility.

Indoor Air Quality

CFHA is committed to providing healthy and safe housing for its occupants and our maintenance program takes this into account. CFHA’s maintenance program is designed to manage the condition of the housing portfolio through preventative, cyclical and planned maintenance activities. In addition to the preventative maintenance schedule, CFHA manages indoor air quality issues on a case-by-case basis with individual management plans being established to deal with each occurrence.


Mould is present in varying degrees and forms in all Canadian houses. Moulds can enter the home in many ways, for example through open windows or doors, and on clothing, pets, food and furniture. Moist conditions in a home can foster the growth of mould.

CFHA encourages DND housing occupants to do their part to manage indoor air quality in their home. The following actions are recommended:

  • Keep items stored in the basement off the floor and away from walls to allow for air circulation;
  • Use bathroom and kitchen fans regularly, as well as Heat Recovery Ventilators (HRVs) where installed;
  • Operate a dehumidifier throughout the spring, summer, and fall;
  • Dryers should be properly vented; and
  • Curtains opened in daytime.

For more information regarding indoor air quality and mould, CFHA occupants are encouraged to refer to the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s (CMHC) Moisture and Air: Householder's Guide.

Duct Cleaning

There is a lot of debate in the public domain over the frequency at which ducts must be cleaned. CMHC advises that duct cleaning will not usually change the quality of the air you breathe, nor will it significantly affect airflows or reduce heating costs. For more information on duct cleaning, please consult the CMHC website.

You may wish to have your ducts cleaned; however, please contact the HSC to obtain prior approval. You will be responsible for all costs associated with the cleaning and any related damage caused to the housing unit.

Heat Recovery Ventilators (HRV)

An HRV provides controlled fresh air while conserving heat in the colder months for optimum energy efficiency.

During the heating season, the installed HRV recovers heat from the outgoing stale household air and uses it to preheat incoming fresh outdoor air. The HRV then distributes the incoming air throughout the house either through the existing heating ducts or through special ducts installed for this purpose. Contact your HSC for more information about the presence and operation of HRVs at your location.

Fire Safety

Fire Pits

Solid fuel burning fire pits shall not be used on DND property, as promulgated by DND policy.

Flammable Liquids

As directed by the Canadian Forces Fire Marshal, no more than 15 litres of flammable and combustible liquids (of which no more than 5 litres can be flammable liquids) are permitted to be stored in a residence. All flammable liquids are to be stored in an approved container. Examples of flammable liquids include gasoline, kerosene and camping fuel (naphtha). Examples of combustible liquids include diesel fuel, automotive oil, Varsol and paint thinner.

Barbeque Equipment

Please note that portable barbeques are designed for outdoor use only, and propane tanks cannot be stored inside the house. When in use, you need to keep your barbeque at least 3.0 metres away from any structures.

Deep Fat Fryers

These appliances are a major cause of fires so please use with extreme caution. Only fryers approved by a certified testing laboratory, such as Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) may be used in your house.

Clutter and Waste Material Accumulation

For your own safety, rubbish and combustible waste shall be removed from your property on a regular basis. Waste accumulation shall be removed from your property on a regular basis, or it will be removed at your expense.

Escape Planning

You are strongly encouraged to create and practice an escape plan as soon as you take possession of your home. Negative consequences of fire, such as injury or death, can be avoided with a properly practiced and executed escape plan. Contact your local fire hall for more information about fire safety.

Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm

CFHA conducts an annual smoke and carbon monoxide alarm battery replacement, cleaning and inspection. You should test all alarms in your home once a month to ensure the detector is functioning properly, to recognize the alarm sounds and to replace any batteries that are defective.

Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm Procedures

The carbon monoxide alarm sounds with four (4) beeps followed by five (5) seconds of silence. If the carbon monoxide alarm signal sounds:

  • Immediately move your family to safety – outdoors; and
  • Call your emergency local service or fire department (911).

Automatic Sprinkler Systems

Automatic sprinklers may have been installed in your home. Automatic sprinkler systems provide for life safety and property protection and you may see exposed sprinklers in the basement or concealed sprinklers in the living areas.

  • Never suspend anything from the sprinklers; this may inadvertently activate the sprinkler;
  • Never store anything within 45 centimetres (18 inches) of an automatic sprinkler; this will impair its ability to effectively control a fire; and
  • Do not adjust any of the sprinkler system components found near your water supply entrance in the basement. If you notice anything unusual such as a change in house water pressure or leaking pipes, please notify the HSC as soon as possible.


Intra-Base Moves

Occupants who request an intra-base move may be permitted for the following reasons:

  • Change in household size resulting from:
    • A change in marital status;
    • Increase in the number of dependants by birth or adoption;
    • Other relatives or persons, not classified as dependants, approved to live in the house and who are reflected in the occupant’s official household size; or
  • Compassionate reasons.

Intra-base moves are generally not considered during the active posting season, but can be considered at the discretion of the HSC Manager, subject to availability of housing.

The final approval of such moves depends on a passed pre-inspection. This means there is no damage (other than fair wear-and-tear) done to the present unit. The move will not be approved until any damage has been repaired and/or paid for to the satisfaction of the HSC.

You are responsible for shelter charges, utility costs, and liability and damage insurance coverage for both houses during the move because you remain responsible for the previous unit until official move-out has occurred, and for the new unit on the day the keys are provided.

The move-out date from the old home has to be the same as the move-in date of the new home. However, if you need a few days to move in, please submit a written request to the HSC as additional rent will be charged. The shelter charge for your new home will be payable by cheque on the day the keys are picked up. The old home’s shelter charge will still be source deducted from your pay until the move-out procedures are completed.

Domestic Pets

You will need to consult and adhere to the local municipal by-laws and the base/wing standing orders regarding domestic pets. In accordance with the above, the HSC will limit the kind and number of domestic pets you are allowed to have in your house, or ban them completely.

If you own a pet(s), these are CFHA regulations that must also be followed:

  • Your pets cannot bother other neighbours or damage property. You could be held legally responsible for any injuries or damage caused by your pets to persons, property or other pets. These damages include, but are not limited to:
    • Any additional cleaning including the removal of pet hair; remedial work or replacement of carpets where there are urine or feces stains and odours which cannot be removed; and fumigation for fleas and ticks;
    • The repair of damage to walls, screens or scratching of glass panels;
    • Any damage to landscaping or fences;
    • Dogs must be kept under effective restraint and cannot run loose beyond the property boundary. Dogs left outdoors unattended must be fenced in or tethered on a leash that will restrict them to the property boundary. Please do not use clothes lines to tether your dog(s). Cats do not normally need to be restrained to the same extent as dogs unless complaints are received that they are a nuisance or are causing damage;
    • You are responsible for cleaning up and immediately throwing out any pet waste left on any property by your dog or cat (stoop and scoop); and
    • Where applicable, you need to buy licences for all pets belonging to the household.

Pest Management

Strategies for managing pest populations must be developed according to the species of pest as well as the threat they pose to people, property and the environment. For CFHA-managed housing units, the focus of pest management is to reduce any potential health hazard, prevent loss or damage to CFHA and/or occupant property and prevent proliferation of pests. Pest control will only be undertaken by the HSC to protect the structure of the residence.

The HSC will not undertake pest control for skunks, rabbits, or other roaming animals, or for insects outside the house. For your safety, please do not feed wild animals.

After you have lived in your house for six weeks, and where it is confirmed pests inside your house are there because of negligence (i.e. poor housekeeping), you will be responsible for all pest control costs. The HSC is only responsible for pest control costs when it is confirmed that the infestation has not been caused by negligence.

If you want pest control treatment in your residence as a preventive measure, you are responsible for the costs.

Any pest control measures that are related to structures you have installed on your property are your responsibility.

Good Neighbour Considerations

Conscientious and respectful neighbours help create a happy community. The following guidelines will maintain a respectful neighbourhood for you and your family:

  • Do not trespass on the grounds of your neighbours;
  • Do not disturb the peace and/or comfort of your neighbours or of any person in any residential unit. This means you should not cause or permit anything that unreasonably interferes with your neighbours’ peace, privacy or quiet enjoyment, including barking dogs and loud parties;
  • Respect all local by-laws and base or wing standing orders; and
  • The behaviour of guests invited to your home is your responsibility.

Hazardous Spills

If hazardous materials such as fuel oil, gasoline, pesticides or otherwise are spilled inside or outside the residence, the occurrence must be reported to the HSC or, if outside of regular working hours, to the EAHRS immediately so that proper precautions and/or remedial actions can be taken to minimize health and safety as well as environmental concerns.

Firearms and Ammunition

If you own firearms and/or ammunition, you must report to the Military Police and/or local policing authority to get instructions on how these items need to be licensed and stored.



Occupant surveys may be conducted in order to assess the quality of services provided by CFHA as well as the level of customer satisfaction. Thank you for providing us with constructive feedback and for taking the time to fill out CFHA surveys.

CFHA always welcomes questions, concerns or suggestions you may have to help us improve the services we provide.

Occupant Complaint Resolution Process

CFHA has a policy to effectively resolve any occupant complaints or problems. Please contact your HSC or see the CFHA website for information on this process.


Moving-Out Process

The moving-out process is made up of both a preliminary and final inspection. We do a preliminary inspection to make sure you know all the cleaning and condition requirements, and this meeting should be held as soon as possible after you have given CFHA your written 30-day notice of intention to vacate.

The final inspection will take place on your move-out date and is carried-out to make sure you have completed all the move-out requirements identified during the preliminary inspection.

The preliminary and final inspections will take place only during the HSC’s regular working hours. You, or in unusual circumstances your representative (where one has been appointed), need to be present during the inspections.

Moving-Out Requirements

When a residence is vacated, it needs to be left in a clean, hygienic and tidy condition. If you hire a cleaner, the agreement is between you and them. You remain entirely responsible for the cleanliness inspection. I. The following standards apply:

  • All floors, including those in the basement, need to be cleaned; all carpets need to be vacuumed and steam cleaned if required;
  • All wall and ceiling surfaces need to be free of residue, with the curtain tracks removed. Free of residue means the removal of foreign matter such as stains from tobacco products and pen/pencil marks through spot washing and scrubbing as necessary;
  • All windows, window sills and screens need to be clean inside and out; damaged screens need to be repaired/replaced;
  • All sinks, bathtubs, and toilets need to be clean and hygienic;
  • All CFHA owned appliances, including range hoods and bathroom exhaust fan grills, need to be clean and hygienic;
  • All cupboards, bathroom vanities and cabinets and closet surfaces need to be free of residue; shelf-liner in kitchen cabinets and drawers must be removed;
  • All burned-out and/or missing light bulbs/fluorescent tubes need to be replaced;
  • The lawn needs to be cut and trimmed and the grounds surrounding the residence, including window wells, need to be clean and free of all rubbish; flower beds need to be weeded and raked;
  • All sidewalks and driveways need to be clear of snow and ice;
  • The basement, crawlspace and garage, if applicable, need to be clean and completely empty; nails, screws and frame hangers need to be removed from all surfaces;
  • The furnace humidifier and filter need to be clean; all removable heat registers need to be removed and the accessible duct area vacuumed;
  • All garbage and hazardous waste need to be disposed of in the correct fashion. Please look into regulations and by-laws about garbage and hazardous waste;
  • The composter needs to be emptied and contents disposed of where applicable;
  • All temporary structures (e.g. sheds, pools, fences) need to be removed and the grounds restored to their original condition; and
  • If the residence is heated by oil, the fuel tank must be filled-up.

Restoration of Grounds

When you move out, you need to remove any structures you have put up and restore the grounds to their original condition, at your own expense. This also includes proper soil preparation and re-seeding any damaged grass areas days before you move. If you move during the winter months, you need to give the HSC a letter of intent, indicating the contact information of the designated person who will remove all the structures, gardens, pet waste, as well as restore the lot in the spring. The letter needs to be signed by the designated person. Without a letter of intent, you will need to give the HSC advanced payment so the lot can be restored when weather permits.

Rent Account/Damages

You are responsible for ensuring that your account with CFHA is paid in full. Failure to settle rent accounts or formally imposed deductions for damages may result in recovery action, which may involve the issuance of taxable benefit remittances.

Notification to Utility Service Providers

You are responsible for informing all service providers (hydro, gas, cable, telephone, etc.) of your move-out date and to provide a forwarding address for final billing. CFHA will also notify hydro and gas providers where applicable.

Redirection of Mail

You are responsible to have all personal mail redirected. Please call the local Post Office for more information or visit www.canadapost.ca.

Customer service pledges

We, at the Canadian Forces Housing Agency, pledge to

  • Respond to your needs in a courteous, fair, timely, and professional manner
  • Consistently measure and improve the quality of our services
  • Provide you with accurate and up-to-date housing information
  • Ensure that our services are easily accessible
  • Make our services available at convenient times
  • Return phone and email messages promptly
  • Respond to emergency maintenance needs 24/7
  • Cater to families with special needs and, whenever possible, adapt your home to meet those needs
  • Provide you with a way to report and address your housing issues
  • Provide services in both official languages
  • Respect your privacy and confidentiality

Occupant responsibilities

At the Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA), we want you to be comfortable in your home. You can help us provide you with the best possible housing services by

  • Abiding by the terms and conditions of the Licence to Occupy and the Occupant Handbook
  • Treating our staff and contractors with respect
  • Advising CFHA of your special housing needs
  • Providing CFHA staff and contractors with reasonable access to your home
  • Providing the Housing Services Centre (HSC) with emergency contact information while you are awa6 for more than 48 hours
  • Informing your HSC about any concerns you may have regarding your home, its maintenance, and its management
Date modified: