Chief of the Defence Staff announces Canadian Armed Forces senior appointments and retirement
News Release / April 8, 2013 / Project number: NR - 13.096
OTTAWA – General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff, on behalf of The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, is pleased to announce additions to this year’s list of senior Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) retirements, promotions, and appointments. These officers lead the CAF in defending Canada’s values, interests, and sovereignty at home and abroad.
“These General and Flag Officers possess the extensive knowledge and skills needed to ensure the continued operational success of our Canadian Armed Forces,” said Minister MacKay.
“I am confident that the men and women under their command will greatly benefit from their leadership.”
"I congratulate these General and Flag Officers selected for new senior appointments," said General Tom Lawson.
"And I also want to thank Acting Brigadier-General Mackay for his many years of service to Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces."
The following additional General and Flag Officer retirement and appointments will occur in 2013:
- Lieutenant-General W. Semianiw will extend his secondment to Veterans Affairs Canada, in Charlottetown, continuing his appointment as Assistant Deputy Minister Policy, Communications and Commemoration.
- Rear-Admiral M.F.R. Lloyd will be appointed Deputy Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy at National Defence Headquarters, in Ottawa, replacing Rear-Admiral M.A.G. Norman;
- Rear-Admiral J.E.T.P. Ellis will remain in his appointment as Deputy Commander (Expeditionary) Canadian Joint Operations Command, in Ottawa.
- Brigadier-General J.G.S. Bédard will be appointed Commander 2 Canadian Air Division, in Winnipeg, resulting in the following appointment:
- Brigadier-General J.C. Madower will be appointed Director General Public Affairs, at National Defence Headquarters, in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General J.G.S. Bédard.
- After distinguished service to Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces, Acting Brigadier-General J.C.F. Mackay will retire from service, resulting in the following appointment:
- Brigadier-General J.B. Simms will be appointed Commander Canadian Forces Joint Operational Support Group, in Kingston, replacing Acting Brigadier-General J.C.F. Mackay.
- 30 -
For more information on senior appointments at the Department of National Defence, please visit: www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dsa-dns/index-eng.asp.
- Date modified: