Operation PROTEUS is Canada’s contribution to the Office of the United States Security Coordinator (USSC) in Jerusalem.
Task Force Jerusalem
The CAF members deployed on Operation PROTEUS fill a variety of key roles within the USSC as an integrated part of the organization. Task Force Jerusalem has adapted to new roles within the USSC, and now has an emphasis on institutional capacity-building.
The members of Task Force Jerusalem:
- provide the Palestinian Authority Security Forces (PASF) with training advice and support;
- help the PASF develop logistics capabilities;
- support the construction of security infrastructure for the Palestinian Authority; and
- facilitate co-operation between the Palestinian Authority and Government of Canada on issues that are not usually of military interest, such as borders and crossings, and movement and access.
Task Force Jerusalem works closely with other Government of Canada personnel in the region to develop the Palestinian Authority’s ability to provide a safe and secure environment for its citizens and promote peace in the region.
The United States Security Coordinator
The U.S. Secretary of State established the Office of the United States Security Coordinator for Israel and the Palestinian Authority in 2005 to meet U.S. commitments under the Middle East Roadmap for Peace. The mandate of the USSC is to encourage coordination on security matters between Israel and the Palestinian Authority and to build the security capacity of the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank.
The USSC’s mission is to:
- assist the Palestinian Authority to transform and professionalize its security sector;
- engage with the Israelis and the Palestinians on security initiatives that build trust and confidence in order to meet Roadmap obligations; and
- support international efforts that set the conditions for a negotiated two-state solution.
The USSC is a joint, international, and interagency team with the core of the organization made up of American Department of Defense service members who are assigned to the State Department. It also comprises a multinational team that consists of military and civilian personnel from Canada, the United Kingdom, Turkey and the Netherlands, as well as other international partners from Germany, Finland, Denmark, and Greece who provide technical training experts and advisors.
Canada in the Middle East
Canada is a strong supporter of the Middle East Peace Process, an active participant in the multilateral process and a significant contributor to assistance programs in the region. Operation PROTEUS is an important component of Canada’s broader engagement in the Middle East Peace Process and the region as a whole.
The Canadian Forces have been involved in peace-support efforts in the Middle East for more than 50 years. Other substantial engagements in the region are:
Government of Canada
- Canada and the Middle East Peace Process (Global Affairs Canada)
Government of the United States
- United States Security Coordinator for Israel and the Palestinian Authority (U.S. Department of State)
- Date modified: