Exercise DETERMINED DRAGON
There are currently no matching articles. Please check again later.
Exercise DETERMINED DRAGON (Ex DD) is an annual training event that exercises the Canadian Joint Operation Command’s (CJOC) ability to execute various scenarios in defence of North America and global defence operations.
This national-level exercise enables CJOC to achieve an increased level of preparedness through practicing its role as a command headquarters (HQ) during operations at home and abroad.
Exercise DETERMINED DRAGON 15
Ex DD 15 will focus on defending North America, supporting the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) and the Canadian NORAD Region, and integrating cyber and space domains into operations. The exercise will be conducted in two phases:
- the planning phase from 1-18 September; and
- the execution phase from 2-8 November;
Ex DD has a number of strategic objectives including:
- exercising HQ responsibilities;
- enhancing interagency partnerships;
- institutionalizing battle procedures with partners such as regional and component commanders, the Strategic Joint Staff, the Associate Deputy Minister (Policy), and the Canadian Forces Intelligence Command;
- bilateral planning with United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) and United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM); and
- CJOC coordination with NORAD.
Ex DD includes a robust lessons learned process that facilitates the application of best practices for future Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) exercises and operations.
Ex DD is bound to other allied exercises by a common scenario and linked through multiple events:
- Ex VIGILANT SHIELD is a NORAD-USNORTHCOM exercise focused on homeland defence and homeland security missions; and
- Ex GLOBAL THUNDER is a USSTRATCOM-led exercise with the primary emphasis on exercising nuclear command and control capabilities.
Ex DD offers an opportunity for regional joint task forces (RJTF) to conduct their own exercises while being synchronized through a common scenario. Participating RJTFs are responsible for the execution of their respective exercise, as well as determining their own training objectives and level of participation.
In September 2009, NORAD, USNORTHCOM and Canada Command (a predecessor to CJOC) signed the Framework for Enhanced Military Cooperation which codified the close relationships among the three commands and ensured a timely and coordinated response to defence and security challenges to North America.
The framework’s goal is to promote enhanced military cooperation in the preparation and conduct of defence, security, and safety operations in North America, including the Arctic.
Exercise DETERMINED DRAGON 14
Ex DD 14 primarily focused on the cooperation between NORAD, USNORTHCOM and USSTRATCOM, specifically in cyber and space domains. It was conducted in three phases:
- the contingency plan development phase from June to August 2014;
- the planning phase in September and October 2014; and
- the execution phase from 20 to 29 October 2014.
Exercise DETERMINED DRAGON 13
Ex DD 13 took place in two phases: the planning phase from 9 to 27 September 2013 and the execution phase from 28 October to 1 November 2013. It primarily focused on the flow of information within the CJOC HQ and the integration of cyber and space components into CAF operations.
- Date modified: