"I want to quit using tobacco..."
You know that quitting tobacco will be good for you and everyone around you:
- Tobacco use kills more than 45,000 Canadians every year.
- One out of every two lifetime smokers die from their smoking, mostly from cancer or heart disease.
- Diabetic smokers increase their risk of circulatory problems.
- Tobacco users have more dental problems: cavities, gum disease.
- Broken bones heal more slowly if you use tobacco.
Your Quality of Life
- Using tobacco dulls your senses: smells, taste, hearing, sight.
- Tobacco use makes exercise harder and less fun.
- Tobacco use costs money. If you quit, you can put the money you save into other things you enjoy.
Those Around You
- If you smoke, it hurts those around you, especially children. They get more colds and ear infections. It can trigger asthma attacks, or make them worse.
- The more children see adults using tobacco, the more likely they are to start using tobacco themselves.
- Over the long term, tobacco smoke exposure can cause heart disease and lung cancer, even in people who have never smoked themselves.
"I can quit using tobacco with a good plan"
Why Choose Butt Out?
Research shows that the best success rates come from a combination of behaviour modification, group support, and medications to help reduce nicotine withdrawal and increase cessation success. BUTT OUT gives specific guidance to help change behaviours associated with tobacco use and also provides essential support for individuals who want to quit using tobacco.
Why Butt Out works
- Nicotine is highly addictive;
- Research shows that nicotine addiction is easier to overcome when you use more than one approach to help you quit;
- Butt Out is one of several tools you can choose to help you stop tobacco use;
- Behaviour modification is the basis of this program;
- Coupled with group support, medication and other tools, Butt Out will increase your chance of success in quitting tobacco use.
You may be eligible to get nicotine replacement therapies or medications at DND expense if you participate in BUTT OUT.
What does Butt Out help you do?
The first step of your journey is your desire to stop using tobacco. Butt Out helps strengthen your commitment and readiness to continue on this journey.
- Learn proven strategies to reinforce your decision to quit using tobacco.
- Discover and apply techniques to cut back then quit your tobacco use.
- Find out about tobacco cessation medications and if they might work for you.
- Analyze your pattern of tobacco use.
- Pinpoint your triggers for using tobacco (e.g. with your morning coffee).
- Plan and map out different actions you can take instead of using tobacco.
- Choose and practice coping strategies that have been proven to work.
- Learn how to manage the stress of quitting.
- Prepare for high-risk situations to avoid relapse.
- Address concerns about weight gain.
- Create a plan to remain tobacco-free for a healthier lifestyle.
BUTT OUT is available in two formats: group and individual. The group and individual formats of BUTT OUT are led by trained facilitators. Both formats consist of a number of sessions over the course of 12 weeks. You may find the individual format more suitable if:
- A group format of BUTT OUT is not operating at your location.
- Your schedule does not allow you to attend BUTT OUT group meetings.
- You are motivated to work through your quit smoking effort independently.
BUTT OUT was developed by CF Health Services, Directorate of Force Health Protection as part of Strengthening the Forces (STF) health promotion programs for the CF.
For more information on the Butt Out program, contact your Local Health Promotion Office.