"It will take time to rebuild the Canadian Forces. At the same time we are conducting operations at a very high tempo, transforming the Forces to meet the changing global security situation, recruiting and training Canada's finest, and caring for our wounded and their families."
General Natynczyk, Chief of Defence Staff
The Canada First Defence Strategy provides the resources needed to expand the Forces to 70,000 Regular Force and 30,000 Reserve Force personnel. This will give the Canadian Forces a total strength of 100,000 to achieve the Government's defence objectives in Canada, on the continent and internationally, as well as positioning them for future growth.
This expansion will allow the military to strengthen key joint and enabling capabilities, including medical and maintenance technicians, surveillance, reconnaissance and intelligence specialists, and special operations forces. This will be a significant undertaking.
The cost of increasing military strength by 1,000 regular personnel is about $150 million annually - and this does not include the associated equipment, infrastructure and training. Overall, just over 50 per cent of National Defence's budget is spent on personnel.
Canadian Forces Personnel 2000-28
Investing in People
- People are Defence's most important resource. Both the Department and the Forces rely heavily on the work and expertise of dedicated personnel to ensure the operational effectiveness of the military.
- Rebuilding the Forces into a first-class, modern military means recruiting the "best and the brightest" that Canadian communities have to offer.
- Recognizing the demographic challenges who will be facing the Canadian workforce in the coming decades, Defence will continue to strive for excellence by:
- Recruiting and retaining quality candidates that reflect the face of Canada;
- Providing world-class technical training and advanced education;
- Encouraging the continued development of a knowledge-based workforce;
- Providing personnel with the highest level of health care possible; and
- Integrating a motivated and effective Defence team comprising Regulars, Reserves and civilians.